New chapter on statistics on currency issuance
The Banco de Portugal disseminates for the first time in the Statistical bulletin of January of 2008 statistical series on currency issuance, based on information available at Banco de Portugal.
Until now, some of this information was published in the Annual Report of Banco de Portugal under the section related to currency issuance in the chapter on the activities of the Bank.
The new statistical series constitute Chapter I of the bulletin, statistics on currency Issuance, where the following data are disseminated:
- Banknotes put into circulation by the Banco de Portugal (Table I.1.1);
- Banknotes put into circulation by the Eurosystem (Table I.1.2);
- Deposits of banknotes in the Banco de Portugal (Table I.1.3);
- Withdrawals of banknotes in the Banco de Portugal (Table I.1.4);
- Banco de Portugal’s banknotes sorting systems (Table I.1.5);
- Counterfeit banknotes detected in Portugal (Table I.1.6);
- Banknotes denominated in Escudo to be withdrawn from circulation (Table I.1.7).
- Coins put into circulation by the Banco de Portugal (Table I.2.1)
- Collector coins put into circulation by the Banco de Portugal (Table I.2.2);
- Deposits of coins in the Banco de Portugal (Table I.2.3);
- Withdrawals of coins in the Banco de Portugal (Table I.2.4).
This information can also be found at BPstat | Statistics Online, where it is also published a list of collector coins issued in Portugal since the introduction of the euro (not included in the Statistical bulletin).
Lisboa, 22 January 2008