Generation €uro: Team from Mem-Martins Secondary School wins final
The team €uro-€scudo, from Mem-Martins Secondary School, won the Portuguese Generation €uro Students’ Award. The final took place today in Banco de Portugal, Lisbon.
Afonso Sampaio, Ana Margarida Ferreira, Daniela Augusto, Hugo Moreira and Rafael Cunha and their teacher Isabel Acácia Monteiro, from Mem-Martins Secondary School, were awarded first prize, which they received from the Governor of Banco de Portugal, Carlos da Silva Costa. On 10 April they will go to Frankfurt (Germany), to take part in a European award event, where a prize will be given to the winners of this competition, held in all Eurosystem countries.
The generation €uro award is the first competition for schools on monetary policy organised by the European Central Bank and the Eurosystem national central banks. This initiative aims to raise awareness among secondary school students about the importance of the euro’s monetary policy and price stability. It was organized for the first time in the 2011/2012 school year.
The following teams took part in the final
- €uro-€scudo - Escola Secundária de Mem-Martins - 1st place
- Os pasteleiros - Centro de Educação Integral (S. João da Madeira) - 2nd place
- Líderes da economia - Centro de Educação Integral (S. João da Madeira) - 3rd place
- Eurolusitanos - Escola Secundária Amato Lusitano (Castelo Branco) - 4th place
- DDJL - Escola Secundária José Macedo Fragateiro (Ovar) - 5th place
The jury for the final comprised staff members of Banco de Portugal and one journalist.
In October 2017, Banco de Portugal invited Portugal’s secondary schools to take part in the 7th edition of the Generation €uro Students’ Award. In the first round of the competition, students answered a questionnaire on the euro’s monetary policy as a team. In total, 175 teams from 80 Portuguese schools participated in this round.
The teams with the highest marks were invited to write an essay, in which they had to predict the monetary policy decision of January 2018 by the Governing Council of the European Central Bank, giving relevant arguments.
Of the 38 teams invited to the second round of the competition, 25 submitted essays. The best were chosen for the competition final, today, where they defended their arguments in front of the jury.
Os pasteleiros - Centro de Educação Integral (S. João da Madeira) - 2nd place
Líderes da economia - Centro de Educação Integral (S. João da Madeira) - 3rd place
Eurolusitanos - Escola Secundária Amato Lusitano (Castelo Branco) - 4th place
DDJL - Escola Secundária José Macedo Fragateiro (Ovar) - 5th place
Previous awards winners
- 1st Award (2011/12): Team from São Lourenço Secondary School, Portalegre
- 2nd Award (2012/13): Team from D. Sancho II Secondary School, Elvas
- 3rd Award (2013/14): Team from Amato Lusitano Secondary School, Castelo Branco
- 4th Award (2014/15): Team from São Lourenço Secondary School, Portalegre
- 5th Award (2015/16): Team from Colégio Luso-Francês, Porto
- 6th Award (2016/17): Team from Centro de Educação Integral, S. João da Madeira