Commemorative coin ‘Centenary of the first aerial crossing of the South Atlantic’ will start circulating on 30 March
The Banco de Portugal will put a commemorative coin into circulation from 30 March 2022, with face value of €2, entitled ‘Centenary of the first aerial crossing of the South Atlantic’. The coins will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and the Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘Centenary of the first aerial crossing of the South Atlantic’ coin has the following features:
On the common side:
- The European design used on euro coins in circulation.
On the national side:
- At the top, on the left, the words ‘Travessia do Atlântico Sul’ (crossing of the South Atlantic);
- On the right, the name of the author and the words ‘Casa da Moeda’;
- In the middle, a seaplane and the words ‘Portugal’ and ‘1922-2022’;
- At the bottom, the Southern Cross constellation, whose main star, Acrux, its most southerly star, coincides with the position of one of the 12 stars of the European Union forming a circle around the edge.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 284/2021, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 236 of 7 December 2021.
The issue limit was set at 1,000,000 coins with normal finish.
The Banco de Portugal sells commemorative coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
The Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.