Collector coin – ‘UEFA Euro 2020’ will start circulating on 4 November
The Banco de Portugal will put a cupronickel-alloy collector coin into circulation from 4 November 2020, with face value of €2.50, entitled ‘UEFA Euro 2020’. The coin will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and the Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘UEFA Euro 2020' coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- The image of two football players competing for the ball;
- Around the upper edge, the words ‘Casa da Moeda’ and the name of the author;
- On the left, the face value;
- On the right, the Portuguese coat of arms.
On the reverse:
- A representation of the UEFA EURO 2020 logo;
- At the top, to the right, the word ‘Portugal’.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 138/2020, published in the Official Gazette, Series I - No 112 of 9 June 2020.
The issue limit was set at 20,000 coins with normal finish.
The Banco de Portugal sells collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
The Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.