Collector coin – ‘Strait 1520’ will start circulating on 20 October
The Banco de Portugal will put a silver-alloy collector coin into circulation from 20 October 2020, with face value of €7.50, entitled ‘Strait 1520’, within the ‘500th Anniversary of Magellan’s Circumnavigation’ commemorative series. The coin will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and the Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘Strait 1520' coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- In the middle, the circumnavigation map;
- Surrounding the design, the words ‘2020 Portugal’, ‘Circum Navegação’ and ‘1519-1522’;
- In the lower left quadrant, the face value.
On the reverse:
- On the left, the image of two penguins;
- On the right, the image of a ship;
- Around the upper edge, the words ‘Fernão.de.Magalhães’;
- Around the lower edge, the abbreviation ‘INCM’, the name of the author and the words ‘Estreito 1520’.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 13/2019, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 10 of 15 January 2019.
The issue limit was set at 50,000 coins with normal finish.
The Banco de Portugal sells collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
The Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.