Collector coin – ‘Seahorse’ will start circulating on 16 June
The Banco de Portugal will put a cupronickel-alloy collector coin into circulation from 16 June 2021, with face value of €5, entitled ‘Seahorse’, within the ‘Endangered fauna species’ series. The coin will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and the Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘Seahorse' coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- Filling the centre, a couple of seahorses in their habitat;
- At the top, to the left, the name of the author and the words ‘Casa da Moeda’;
- At the top and in the middle, the face value and the Portuguese coat of arms.
On the reverse:
- A close-up of a seahorse surrounded by seagrass and seaweed;
- Around the upper edge, the words ‘Cavalo-marinho’ and ‘Portugal 2021’.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 36/2021, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 31 of 15 February 2021.
The issue limit was set at 25,000 coins with normal finish.
The Banco de Portugal sells collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
The Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.