Collector coin – ‘Miragaia longicollum’ will start circulating on 1 June
The Banco de Portugal will put a cupronickel-alloy collector coin into circulation from 1 June 2023, with face value of €5, entitled ‘Miragaia longicollum’, as part of the ‘Dinosaurs in Portugal’ series. The coins will be distributed to the public through credit institutions, the Banco de Portugal's cash offices and the shops of the Portuguese Mint and Official Printing Office.
The ‘Miragaia longicollum' coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- An image of the dinosaur's fossil in the form of a spiral;
- In the middle, the face value and the Portuguese coat of arms;
- Around the left edge, the words ‘Portugal’ and ‘2023’.
On the reverse:
- In the middle, the dinosaur facing forward with its head and tail turned to the right;
- At the bottom, the silhouette of the ground and a grove;
- Around the left edge, the name of the author and the words ‘Casa da Moeda’;
- Around the right edge, the scientific name of the Miragaia longicollum species.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 117/2023, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 90 of 10 May 2023.
The issue limit was set at 30,000 coins with normal finish.
The Banco de Portugal sells collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
The Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.