Collector coin – ‘Mactan 1521’ will start circulating on 14 April
The Banco de Portugal will put a silver-alloy collector coin into circulation from 14 April 2021, with face value of €7.50, entitled ‘Mactan 1521’, within the ‘500th Anniversary of Magellan’s Circumnavigation’ commemorative series. The coin will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and the Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘Mactan 1521' coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- In the middle, the portrait of Ferdinand Magellan;
- Surrounding the design, the words ‘2021 Portugal’, ‘Circum Navegação’ and ‘1519-1522’;
- In the lower left quadrant, the face value.
On the reverse:
- On the left, a scene from the battle of Mactan, where Ferdinand Magellan was killed;
- Around the upper edge, the words ‘Fernão.de.Magalhães’;
- Around the lower edge, the words ‘Mactan 1521’, the abbreviation ‘INCM’ and the name of the author.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 13/2019, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 10 of 15 January 2019.
The issue limit was set at 50,000 coins with normal finish.
The Banco de Portugal sells collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
The Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.