Collector coin — "Lourinhanosaurus antunesi" will start circulating on 1 June
The Banco de Portugal will put a cupronickel-alloy collector coin into circulation from 1 June 2022, with face value of €5, entitled "Lourinhanosaurus antunesi", within the "Dinosaurs in Portugal" series. The coins will be distributed to the public through credit institutions, the Banco de Portugal's cash offices and the shops of the Portuguese Mint and Official Printing Office.
The "Lourinhanosaurus antunesi" coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- At the top and on the left, the words "Portugal 2022";
- In the middle, the skeleton of an embryo of this dinosaur;
- In the upper left quadrant, the face value and the Portuguese coat of arms.
On the reverse:
- Filling the centre, the theropod dinosaur hatching from an egg in its paleoenvironment;
- Around the left edge, the name of the author and the words "Casa da Moeda";
- Around the top edge, the scientific name of the Lourinhanosaurus antunesi species.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 285/2021, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 236 of 7 December 2021.
The issue limit was set at 30,000 coins with normal finish.
The Banco de Portugal sells collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
The Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.