Collector coin ‘José Afonso’ will start circulating on 2 August
The Banco de Portugal will put a collector coin into circulation from 2 August 2023, with face value of €5, entitled ‘José Afonso’, as part of the ‘Portuguese musicians’ series. The coins will be distributed to the public through credit institutions, the Banco de Portugal's cash offices and the shops of Imprensa Nacional – Casa da Moeda (Portuguese Mint and Official Printing Office).
The ‘José Afonso' coin has the following features:
On the obverse:
- In the upper half, an image of a hand playing a guitar;
- Around the lower edge, to the left, the year ‘2023’ and the words ‘José Afonso’;
- Around the lower edge, to the right, the word ‘Portugal’ and the face value;
- Also around the lower edge, in the middle, an escutcheon from the Portuguese coat of arms.
On the reverse:
- In the middle, an image of the singer-songwriter José Afonso in profile;
- Around the lower edge, to the left, the words ‘Casa da Moeda’ and the name of the author.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 117/2023, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 90 of 10 May 2023.
The issue limit was set at 30,000 coins with normal finish.
The Banco de Portugal sells collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
The Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.