Collector coin – ‘Joaquim Agostinho’ within the ‘Sports idols’ series will start circulating on 26 June
Banco de Portugal will put a silver-alloy collector coin into circulation from 26 June 2019, with face value of €7.50, called ‘Joaquim Agostinho’.
The coins will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘Joaquim Agostinho' coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- At the top, the Portuguese coat of arms with the face value below;
- At the bottom and on the right, an image of the cyclist in the three most important sporting events of his life, the name of the author and the abbreviation ‘INCM’;
- On the left, the words ‘Portugal’ and ‘2019’;
On the reverse:
- On the right, a close-up of the athlete;
- On the left and in the middle, the word ‘Joaquim’ and the dates of his birth and death ‘1943/1984’;
- Around the left edge, the word ‘Agostinho’;
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 15/2019, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 10 of 15 January 2019.
The issue limit was set at 40,000 coins with normal finish.
Banco de Portugal sells collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
Those interested in obtaining these coins should fill out the form provided giving the name, face value and number of coins desired.
Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.