Collector coin – ‘Imperial eagle’ within the ‘Endangered animal species’ series
Banco de Portugal will put a cupronickel-alloy collector coin into circulation from 25 October 2018, with face value of €5, entitled ‘Imperial eagle’.
The coin will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘Imperial eagle’ coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- Filling the centre, an eagle in flight;
- Around the edge, on the lower left, the abbreviation ‘INCM’ and the name of the author;
- On the right, the Portuguese coat of arms with the armillary sphere and the face value.
On the reverse:
- In the middle, an image of the eagle in profile;
- Around the upper edge, the words ‘Águia Imperial’;
- Around the lower edge, the words ‘Portugal 2018’.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 68/2018, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 48 of 8 March 2018, with the exception of Article 2(1)(d), amended by Executive Order No 278/2018, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 199 of 16 October 2018.
The issue limit was set at 60,000 coins with normal finish.
Banco de Portugal sells commemorative and collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
Those interested in obtaining these coins should fill out the form provided giving the name, face value and number of coins desired.
Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.