Collector coin – Iberian lynx
Banco de Portugal will put a cupronickel-alloy collector coin into circulation from 12 October 2016, with face value of €5, entitled ‘Iberian lynx’, within the ‘Endangered species’ series.
The coin will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘Iberian lynx' coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
• On the obverse:
- A lynx resting on a rocky massif, which is its main habitat;
- On the right, the Portuguese coat of arms and the face value;
- Around the upper edge, the words ‘Portugal 2016’.
• On the reverse:
- Across the entire surface, a close shot of a lynx’s head;
- At the top, the words ‘Lince Ibérico’.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 64-B/2016, published in the Official Gazette, Series I - No 63 of 31 March. The issue limit was set at 75,000 coins with normal finish.
Banco de Portugal sells commemorative and collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
Those interested in obtaining these coins should fill out the form provided giving the face value and number of coins desired.
Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.