Collector coin – ‘Dinheirosaurus lourinhanensis’ will start circulating on 21 September
The Banco de Portugal will put a cupronickel-alloy collector coin into circulation from 21 September 2021, with face value of €5, entitled ‘Dinheirosaurus lourinhanensis’, within the ‘Dinosaurs of Portugal’ series. The coin will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and the Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘Dinheirosaurus lourinhanensis' coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- At the top and on the left, articulating vertebrae of Dinheirosaurus lourinhanensis;
- In the middle, a dinosaur trackway and the silhouette of a dinosaur moving away;
- At the bottom and on the right, the face value and the Portuguese coat of arms;
- Around the lower edge, the words ‘Portugal 2021’.
On the reverse:
- Filling the centre, the sauropod dinosaur in its paleoenvironment;
- Around the left edge, the scientific name of the Dinheirosaurus lourinhanensis species;
- Around the right edge, the name of the author and the words ‘Casa da Moeda’.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 36/2021, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 31 of 15 February 2021.
The issue limit was set at 25,000 coins with normal finish.
The Banco de Portugal sells collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
The Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.