Collector coin – ‘D. Maria Bárbara de Bragança’
Banco de Portugal will put a cupronickel-alloy collector coin into circulation from 20 June 2017, with face value of €5, entitled ‘D. Maria Bárbara de Bragança’, within the ‘Queens of Europe’ series.
The coin will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘D. Maria Bárbara de Bragança' coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- In the middle, an image of the ceremony of the exchange of princesses, in 1727, in a wooden palace built for the occasion, on a bridge over the Caia river, between Elvas and Badajoz;
- At the top, the Portuguese and Spanish coats of arms and the words ‘Portugal’ and ‘2017’.
On the reverse:
- In the middle, an image of Barbara of Portugal;
- On the left, the words ‘D. Maria Bárbara de Bragança 1711-1758’ and the face value;
- On the right, the name of the author and the letters ‘INCM’.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 148/2017, published in the Official Gazette, Series I - No 83 of 28 April. The issue limit was set at 60,000 coins with normal finish.
Banco de Portugal sells commemorative and collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
Those interested in obtaining these coins should fill out the form provided giving the face value and number of coins desired.
Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.