Collector coin – ‘Conclusion 1522’ will start circulating on 5 May
The Banco de Portugal will put a silver-alloy collector coin into circulation from 5 May 2022, with face value of €7.50, entitled ‘Conclusion 1522’, within the ‘500th Anniversary of Magellan’s Circumnavigation’ commemorative series. The coins will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and the Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘Conclusion 1522' coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- In the middle, an image of the armillary sphere with the words ‘Sphera Mundi’;
- Around the coin’s edge, the words ‘2022 Portugal’, ‘Circum Navegação’ and ‘1519-1522’;
- In the lower left quadrant, the face value.
On the reverse:
- An image of carrack Victoria, the only ship to return to Spain after sailing around the world, commanded by Juan Sebastián Elcano, following the death of Ferdinand Magellan in 1521;
- Around the upper edge, the words ‘Fernão.de.Magalhães’;
- Around the lower edge, the words ‘Conclusão por Elcano’, ‘1522’, ‘INCM’ and the name of the author.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 13/2019, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 10 of 15 January 2019.
The issue limit was set at 50,000 coins with normal finish.
The Banco de Portugal sells collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
The Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.