Collector coin – ‘The Climate’ will start circulating on 3 March
The Banco de Portugal will put a cupronickel-alloy collector coin into circulation from 3 March 2022, with face value of €5, entitled ‘The Climate’, within the ‘Drawing the Coin’ series. The coins will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and the Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘The Climate’ coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- Planet Earth under a thunderstorm and rain;
- In the middle, the Portuguese coat of arms and the armillary sphere;
- At the bottom, the face value;
- Around the edge, on the lower right, the words ‘Casa da Moeda’ and the name of the author.
On the reverse:
- A spherical cap of planet Earth and an urban landscape under a thunderstorm;
- On the right, the year ‘2022’;
- At the bottom, the words ‘O Clima’.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 285/2021, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 236 of 7 December 2021.
The issue limit was set at 30,000 coins with normal finish.
The Banco de Portugal sells collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
The Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.