Collector coin – ‘Carrilho da Graça’ within the 'Portuguese Architecture' series will start circulating on 25 September
Banco de Portugal will put a silver-alloy collector coin into circulation from 25 September 2019, with face value of €7.50, entitled ‘Carrilho da Graça’.
The coin will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘Carrilho da Graça’ coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- In the middle, the Portuguese coat of arms;
- Around the upper edge, the abbreviation ‘INCM’, the face value and the name of the author;
- Around the lower edge, the words ‘República Portuguesa’.
On the reverse:
- In the middle, an image of the Higher School of Communication and Media Studies, designed by the architect Carrilho da Graça;
- Around the upper edge, the words ‘Carrilho da Graça’;
- Around the lower edge, the year ‘2019’.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 15/2019, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 10 of 15 January 2019.
The issue limit was set at 40,000 coins with normal finish.
Banco de Portugal sells collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
Those interested in obtaining these coins should fill out the form provided giving the name, face value and number of coins desired.
Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.