Collector coin – ‘The Art of Lacquer’ will start circulating on 12 October
The Banco de Portugal will put a cupronickel-alloy collector coin into circulation from 12 October 2021, with face value of €5, entitled ‘The Art of Lacquer’, within the ‘Portugal and the Orient’ series. The coins will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and the Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
‘The Art of Lacquer’ coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- In the upper half, an image of the sea as fish scales, according to the traditional Japanese pattern;
- At the bottom, in the middle, a Matsu pine tree, symbol of courage, endurance and longevity;
- Around the lower edge, the words ‘Portugal 2021’.
- At the bottom and on the right, the Portuguese coat of arms and the face value.
On the reverse:
- On the left, a ship at sea, inspired by Nanban screens;
- On the right, images of Shinto shrines with another Matsu pine in the middle;
- Around the upper edge, the words ‘Arte da Laca’;
- At the bottom and on the right, the name of the author and the words ‘Casa da Moeda’.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 36/2021, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 31 of 15 February 2021.
The issue limit was set at 25,000 coins with normal finish.
The Banco de Portugal sells collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
The Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.