- Select your idiom:
Collector coin – ‘Aristides de Sousa Mendes’ will start circulating on 15 July
The Banco de Portugal will put a cupronickel-alloy collector coin into circulation from 15 July 2021, with face value of €5, entitled ‘Aristides de Sousa Mendes – Never Forget’. The coin will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and the Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘Aristides de Sousa Mendes – Never Forget’ coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- Filling the centre, a ‘V’;
- At the top, the words ‘Humanidade/Igualdade/Dignidade/Esperança/Liberdade’ (Humanity/Equality/Dignity/Hope/Freedom);
- On the left, the face value and the words ‘Casa da Moeda’ and ‘Portugal’;
- On the right, the Portuguese coat of arms, the name of the author and the year ‘2021’;
- Around the lower edge, the words ‘Nunca Esquecer’ (Never Forget).
On the reverse:
- A close-up of the Portuguese diplomat’s portrait;
- On the right, the words ‘Aristides de Sousa Mendes/1885-1954/Um justo entre as nações’ (a righteous among the nations).
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 36/2021, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 31 of 15 February 2021.
The issue limit was set at 25,000 coins with normal finish.
The Banco de Portugal sells collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
The Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.