- Select your idiom:
Collector coin – ‘500th Anniversary of the Post in Portugal’ will start circulating on 18 September
The Banco de Portugal will put a cupronickel-alloy collector coin into circulation from 18 September 2020, with face value of €5, called ‘500th Anniversary of the Post in Portugal’. The coin will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘500th Anniversary of the Post in Portugal’ coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- The mail coach or stagecoach, a two-horse carriage transporting passengers and mail in Portugal from the middle of the 19th century;
- At the top, the face value and the Portuguese coat of arms;
- On the left, the years ‘2020’ and ‘1520’.
On the reverse:
- An illustration of a number of hands exchanging letters;
- At the bottom, the words ‘500 anos do Correio’;
- Around the edge, on the lower left, the words ‘Casa da Moeda’;
- Around the edge, on the lower right, the name of the author.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 138/2020, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 112 of 9 June, and Rectification Declaration No 27/2020, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 153 of 7 August.
The issue limit was set at 40,000 coins with normal finish.
The Banco de Portugal sells collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
Those interested in obtaining these coins should fill out the form provided giving the name, face value and number of coins desired.
The Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.