Collector coin ‘200th Anniversary of the 1822 Constitution’ will start circulating on 15 December
The Banco de Portugal will put a collector coin into circulation from 15 December 2022, with face value of €2.50, entitled ‘200th Anniversary of the 1822 Constitution’. The coins will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and the Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘200th Anniversary of the 1822 Constitution’ coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- A depiction of the Constitution through floral embellishments inspired by the cover of the original manuscript;
- In the middle, the year ‘2022’, the words ‘República Portuguesa’, and the Portuguese coat of arms;
- On the left, the face value ‘2,5’;
- On the right, the word ‘Euro’.
On the reverse:
- A female figure from whose garment flow embellishments similar to those on the obverse — featuring the words ‘executivo’, ‘legislativo’ and ‘judicial’ —, representing freedom and a break from Absolutism;
- Around the upper edge, the words ‘Casa da Moeda’ and the name of the author;
- Around the lower edge, the words ‘200 Anos Constituição’ and the year ‘1822’.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 276/2022, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 219 of 14 November 2022.
The issue limit was set at 25,000 coins with normal finish.
The Banco de Portugal sells collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
The Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.