Banco de Portugal puts commemorative coin ‘150th Anniversary of the Birth of Raul Brandão’ and collector coin ‘Carlos Lopes’ into circulation
Banco de Portugal will put the following coins into circulation from 21 November 2017:
- a commemorative coin, with face value of €2, entitled ‘150th Anniversary of the Birth of Raul Brandão’;
- a silver-alloy collector coin, with face value of €7.50, entitled ‘Carlos Lopes’, within the ‘Sports idols’ series.
The coins will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘150th Anniversary of the Birth of Raul Brandão’ coin, with an issue limit set at 500,000 coins with normal finish, has the following features:
On the common side:
- The European design used on euro coins in circulation.
On the national side:
- A portrait of Raul Brandão;
- On the left, the words ‘Raul Brandão 1867 2017’;
- On the right, the word ‘Portugal’;
- The 12 stars of the European Union, forming a circle.
The «Carlos Lopes» coin (only legal tender in Portugal) has an issue limit set at 65,000 coins with normal finish and the following features:
On the observe:
- A representation of the athlete’s body in motion;
- At the bottom, the Portuguese coat of arms and the face value.
On the reverse:
- A bust of the athlete;
- Around the edge, the words ‘Carlos Lopes – Portugal 2017’.
The characteristics of these coins were approved by Executive Order No 72/2017, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 37 of 21 February, and Executive Order No 148/2017, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 83 of 28 April respectively.
Banco de Portugal sells commemorative and collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
Those interested in obtaining these coins should fill out the form provided giving the name, face value and number of coins desired.
Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.