Banco de Portugal puts a collector coin into circulation: “Four-leafed Clover” within the ‘Espécies de plantas ameaçadas’ (‘Endangered flora species’) series
Banco de Portugal will put a cupronickel-alloy collector coin into circulation from 19 September 2018, with face value of €5, called ‘Four-leafed Clover’.
The coins will be distributed to the public through credit institutions and Banco de Portugal's cash offices.
The ‘Four-leafed Clover’ coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- In the middle, a cluster of clovers;
- Around the edge, on the lower left, the words ‘Portugal 2018’;
- On the right, the face value and the Portuguese coat of arms.
On the reverse:
- In the middle, an image depicting clovers;
- Around the edge, on the lower left, the words ‘Trevo de 4 Folhas’;
- Around the edge, on the lower right, the name of the author and the abbreviation ‘INCM’.
The characteristics of this coin were approved by Executive Order No 68/2018, published in the Official Gazette, Series I – No 48 of 8 March 2018.
The issue limit was set at 60,000 coins with normal finish.
Banco de Portugal sells commemorative and collector coins to the public exclusively through its cash offices (normal finish only).
Those interested in obtaining these coins should fill out the form provided giving the name, face value and number of coins desired.
Banco de Portugal does not reserve coins nor send them by post.