Fonds: Companhia Auxiliar
Date of creation: 9 March 1844
Date of extinction: 21 August 1845
Origin: In February 1844 the Government requested authorisation from Parliament to contract a new loan up to the amount of 2,000 contos (1). After receiving the authorisation, the Government started negotiations with the group of capitalists that had created Companhia de Crédito Nacional and Companhia União, which ended with the setting up of a new company, the Companhia Auxiliar. This Company as well as its statutes were approved by Executive Order of 9 March 1844 and its capital stock was established between 800 and 1,000 contos de réis.
From the five members of the Board of Directors, two were from Banco de Lisboa, which was again present in the setting up of these companies.
A Decree of 9 March 1844 also approved the terms and conditions of the contract regarding the 800 contos in cash that the Company wanted to borrow from the Government. On 9 May an additional contract was signed for the further borrowing of 200 contos, totalling the amount of 1,000 contos, guaranteed by Treasury bills issued by the Government.
Slightly more than one year after its creation, the Company was wound up, having recorded considerable profits.
Documentation from this Company, totalling 5 volumes, covers its entire life span and consists of records of bookkeeping, promissory notes issued, correspondence sent, and sundry documents.
Documentation dates: 1844-1845
No. items: 5
Extent: 0.1 Lm
Finding aid: Arquivo da Companhia Auxiliar (Col. Inventários, 5)
Access: No consultation restrictions.
All documentation is microfilmed and digitalized.
(1) Conto is the value of 1,000 escudos, the former Portuguese currency.